The 4,364 gross ton ship was built for the Monarch Line in 1882 and baptised the “Grecian Monarch”. She was a large vessel for her time, apply to accommodate 40 1st class, 60 2nd class and 1,000 3rd class passengers. The 116m long vessel, initially, sailed between London and New York and travelled at a speed of 11 knots.
In 1887, she was sold the Allan Line Steam Ship Co. Ltd and renamed the Pomeranian, sailing the London-Montreal and Glasgow –Montreal route. In 1900 she was requisitioned and transported mules to Boer War. In 1902 she was returned to the Allan Line and refitted with a larger triple expansion engine, giving her an extra knot in speed. In 1908, she was stripped of her first class accommodation. In 1916, the Allan Line was aquired by the Canadian Pacific Ocean Services in Montreal.
On her last voyage, North-West of Portland Bill, she was sailing close to her top speed and zigzagging to avoid the U-Boats. She was sailing fully loaded with ground chalk, Fullers Earth and General Goods sailing to St. Johns, New Brunswick, Canada. She had left London, 2 days earlier and was making her way across the Bay, when the UC-77, a mine laying submarine, shot one of her 7 torpedoes at the “Pom”. The torpedo hit the crew-quarter at 5:30 a.m., when the majority of her crew was asleep. The large hole meant she went down quickly taking all of the 55 men aboard with her. The only sole survivor, the second engineer William Bell, was rescued by climbing up the rigging and holding on to the mast sticking out of the water. He was saved an hour later by the local patrol yacht.