The Empress of India was a large battleship - she was 116m long, 23m wide and displayed about 16,000 tonnes. The Admiralty built 8 of these vessels in attempt to improve armaments and range compared to the Trafalgar class battleships, which proved only to work in the relative calm of the Mediterranean.
The new class of Royal Sovereign were large (2,000 tonnes more) and carried 15 more guns, plus 2 additional torpedo tubes. The Empress of India was launched in 1891, armed with 42 guns and twin tripe expansion engine and 8 boilers, allowing her reach a top speed of 17.5 knots. She needed a crew of 712 making her extremely crammed for most sailors. With the launch of the dreadnoughts in 1906, the ship was obsolete in both armaments and speed. The admiralty stripped her down, removed the props and most of the guns and pulled her out into Lyme Bay as target practice in 1913.
Her own shells were used on her. A shell set her on fire and a shell fired from a dreadnought hit her just below the waterline (where the armour plating is thinner). The flooded quickly and turned over and sank. She settled upside down on the seabed. A salvage company bought the rights and salvaged her condensers (the reasons for the large holes near the engine room).